Sunday, November 05, 2006

Hunter's moon and little projects

The moving Moon went up the sky.
And nowhere did abide;
Softly she was going up,
And a star or two beside-
By Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)


Tonight is the full moon. This month it is the Hunter's Moon. According to the Farmers Almanac this is because with the leaves falling and the deer fattened, it is time to hunt. Since the fields have been reaped, hunters can easily see fox and the animals which have come out to glean. Last night we were out and about and I took some pictures of the moon. I like it when we have a full moon and there is snow on the ground. It won't be long before I get to see that. Yesterday the kids had another soccer game as part of their tournament. They lost and I know I am not a good soccer mom because I was not upset by this. The sitting in 34 degree weather with the wind blowing made me quite happy that they lost and that we didn't have to stay for a second game.

As it wasn't much warmer today I stayed inside and finished another apple dishcloth and two apple magnets for my apple friends Christmas basket. Then going with the Christmas theme, I knit a five pointed star. I need to work in the ends and block it still. I was looking for star stuff as my daughter is a star fanatic. I used the pattern found here... http://tiajudy.com/SnowStar.htm. The pattern was a 6 pointed star but it said it could probably be done as a five so I tried it. It called for size ten cotton but I used the white Christmas yarn with the silver in it and # 5 needles. I was thinking it could be made into an afghan. Something to think about for later.

I also tried spinning some silk sari waste this weekend. I bought this last year at Rhinebeck and just re-found it! I also found some dyed corriedale roving that I bought at the same time. I am so not organized but if you look at it this way it's a pay once and get excited about it twice deal. Anyhow back to the sari silk, I read how to do it on a couple of sites and sat down to try it. My yarn turned out more thready. I like the fact that once you start spinning it is a mindless spin where you can let slubs go for the texture. It probably wouldn't be so thready if I hadn't had been so mindless but hey it was fun. Just more learn as you go thing.

So this whole weekend was full of little projects, now I have to find something productive to do. I don't know what I want to start and I am still working on the afghan. I guess it is back to looking at patterns I have saved.

1 comment:

cyndy said...

Hey, that moom looks EXACTLY like the one I saw last night! (How do you get such good photos?)
The star project looks great, and the sari silk looks even better, I think I'm hooked, and I haven't even tried it yet ;-)