Thursday, November 09, 2006

Indian Summer

"From his pipe the smoke ascending
Filled the sky with haze and vapor,
Filled the air with dreamy softness,
Gave a twinkle to the water,
Touched the rugged hills with smoothness,
Brought the tender Indian Summer
To the melancholy north-land,
In the dreary Moon of Snow-shoes."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Tomorrow officially starts Indian Summer. From what the weatherman says it is only going to last a couple of days but I will take that.


The FogPosted by Picasa
Yesterday it was rainy and foggy so I rode with my daughter to have her car serviced. While she drove I knit. I was able to get to the toe decrease on a sock done. I finished that last night and I started the second sock this morning. I will have to put that aside now because with the rain from yesterday and the temperatures they are calling for I should be able to finish getting the gardens put to bed. This is the last chance I will get to prepare everything for winter.

"that wondrous second wind, the Indian summer, attains its amplitude and heavenly perfection, -- the temperatures, the sunny haze; the mellow, rich, delicate, almost flavoured air:
Enough to live -- enough to merely be."~ Walt Whitman

No comments: