Friday, May 28, 2010

Nature's Pace

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience. ~R.W. Emerson

I don't think Summer is showing any patience.  I had a 24 hour bug on Wednesday and slept the whole day.  Thankfully one of the symptoms was I didn't feel the heat.  Thursday morning I decided to go out into the garden and make up for my day of dozing.  I quickly learned that feeling better also took away my earlier disregard of the temps.  I wasn't out there two hours and I had kicked my own butt.  I did get four rows hoed, papered and mulched.  I came inside to do less strenous work and sit in front of the fan.  After the kids got home the predicted thunder, lightning and rain came.  We went to the barn to check on things and #2 daughter in her haste to see the lambs almost stepped on this little baby....

After the poor snake collected his wits he moseyed away, all six foot of him. 
The rain helped cool things down a little but it wasn't enough and barely put anything in the rain barrels.

Today I went out to the garden shortly after getting everyone off to school and work.  It was beautiful, so much better than yesterday, cloudy and 70!  I got more irises planted, the stakes in for the pea fence, two pea fences strung, sunflowers planted at every post, two more rows hoed, papered and mulched.  Then it came to this...
amaranth.  Let me rephrase that...a whole lotta amaranth.  The Hopi red dye amaranth is from Cyndi and I had elephant head amaranth.   I dug up a couple of each and moved them.   #2 son will till what is left back into the soil so I can plant something else there.

I am almost done planting,  I still have to transplant the zucchini, yellow squash, LI cheese squash, try to fit more tomatoes in and maybe some Charlevoix dark red kidney beans seeded in.  and...and...and...

This weekend will be busy so I hope I can find time.  We have to move #1 daughter on Saturday and go to the Amish market by her...wonder what I will come home with!  Then Sunday and Monday we have to help #1 son clear their lot so they can start building their house.  We get all the firewood, which will need to get stacked to season for later use.  The kids will be busy this weekend too!!!!

Now I am going to take the next 15 minutes before the kids come barging in for a quick cup of sanity saving coffee.  Have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

cyndy said...

Your post is truth to something I have realized for many years...that first thunder of the season wakes the snakes...

He is a beauty! I see you are feeding him well!

Like old friends, snakes and amaranth come back to the valley in springtime!