Friday, May 21, 2010

Beauty of the Season

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul. ~John Muir

Just as one man's trash is another man's treasure, what one person considers beauty can differ from anothers.  And beauty can change.  For instance in December, freshly fallen snow that clings to all the branches is beautiful...in March you are sick of it and think of moving to a warmer climate.

Right now I find beauty in...
watching the lambs,

the piglets discovering their new home,

the morning music

the sound and smell of the river as it winds it way below the farm and

the scent of the locust flowers every time there is a slight breeze.

And then there is the promise of a hot cup of chamomile or mint tea by this winters fire

the promise of pea's as they slowly start to uncurl from the seed,

the promise of apples for pie, cobbler, crisp, butter and cider

the promise of blackberries for pie, cobbler, cordial and jam

the promise of tomatoes for spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, BBQ sauce, soup, salsa and fresh sandwiches

and the promise of beauty from the peony and the irises

They are a tonic.  But lest you think I am just walking around on a seasonal high from the sites, smells and sounds here is a picture of the baby afghan I had said I finished.  A simple granny square done in her preferred colors of pink, white and brown.
And today I started making little vests.  My mother made my kids a lot of these and they are tucked away for furture grandchildren.  I figured I would add to the stash and use up some stash at the same time.
But now the grass should be dry and I have to mow the lawn...and yes there is also beauty in the smell and look of a fresh mown lawn.

No comments: