Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Hemlock Ring

Love: a temporary insanity... ~ by Ambrose Bierce ~
I am in L-O-V-E love! I was just surfing the blogs when I stumbled upon http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/ . I saw the Hemlock Ring and that was it. I was on a quest. I finally bought the yarn at the Endless Mt. Sheep & Wool- a 50% wool 50% alpaca. I looked at lots of yarn but chose the natural as I can use it anywhere. I am on row 47.

This is what it looked like at 41.... So far I have learned...
1. pay attention while knitting lace even if it is done with heavy worsted
2. do not to lay it down in the middle of a row when you don't know what you are doing
3. do not get cocky and think you know what you are doing.
I laid it down in the middle of a row and thought I knew where I was and so did a s1 k1 psso instead of a s1 k2tog psso and came up with an extra stitch at the end of the row....there is no polite way to say this....tinking back sucks. I had to go back about 1/2 way. Let us hope I learn from my mistakes, not that I have in the past!
Now I am off to learn how to read the chart that comes with it. Line 1 on the chart corresponds to line 47 in the pattern, so I can't go on until I learn. I should be finishing off the tomatoes but I am thinking of nothing but Hemlock. I am thinking that lots of other doilies could make nice afghans. I am thinking I have to go through all the old magazines and pamphlets and see what others I like. Lord knows I would never attempt to knit or crochet them with KnitCroSheen like my mother and aunts did I am far to lazy!

4 comments:

cyndy said...

Wow!
That is beautiful...it reminds me of one of your big beautiful sunflowers! It makes me want to knit!

PS..Laceknitting = Lifeline

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed. Not that I am not by your many other projects, but that is stunning looking and from the looks of it way more challenging than some of the others. Great find. Can't wait to see the finished product, but it can't get much prettier than that. YEAH SIS

Judy said...

Cyndy, I realize the need for the lifeline now!!!
Sis, nothing like an unbiased family opinion! It is so easy and so much fun. I think it is easier than some of the other things I have done or maybe that is just because I have more time behind the needles now! Either way I Love it!

Anonymous said...

waaaaaaaaaa