Thursday, September 06, 2007

Children

No matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement. ~ Florida Scott-Maxwell

My children aren't middle aged but I am still watching and listening in amazement that they are mine.

My daughter came home from school yesterday and took off her school clothes before she went out to play. This might not be a big deal to most of you but it is for this kid. She has days when she doesn't even come home but stops at Grandma's and then goes out and plays only to come home in filthy torn clothes. She is harder on her clothes than her brother. So this little thing was a huge thing for me.

Then last night my son was setting out his clothes for today and asked what color went best with red! My son cares about matching his clothes...since when?

Even with the older two I am amazed at times. #1 daughter will answer questions flippantly most the time but then she will surprise you with such a well thought out answer. I love when she calls to get my opinion on a writing assignment. While she is reading I get the impression she is going in one direction and then wham she broadsides you with a totally different ending. She has such a big heart but hides that from most people.

#1 son walks around like nothing bothers him, all happy go lucky. However when you set him down he is so much more. At 22 he is still a little boy in so many ways and so naive it is amazing. Although he is the one that acts the most content, it is him that I worry about the most.

“My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.”~ Mark Twain

My little miracles are trouble sometimes, and when I have time to sit and think about what they have accomplished and what is still to come, I guess I could say it is enjoyable. Of course this could just be empty nest syndrome talking too, it could change when they come shoving each other thru the door to get to the bathroom first.

2 comments:

cyndy said...

It is all pretty amazing, isn't it.

Anonymous said...

Hi sis. Reading this and then looking at your profile...time to update. Yes, you and your kids are getting older.