Sunday, September 23, 2007

Autumn Arrives

Harvest home, harvest home!
We've plowed, we've sowed
We've reaped, we've mowed
And brought safe home
Every load.- Harvest Home Song

Autumn has arrived. I would have to say I am torn between Spring and Fall as to my favorite season. The months they encompass are not to hot, not to cold -like the Goldilocks I like it "just right". But before the weather gets too cold there is alot of work to do. So this weekend was spent doing some of it as the weather was gorgeous.

On Saturday I shelled all the lima beans that I had drying, husked all the popcorn. I decided I need to finish my sweater so I set myself to carding the wool for it. While talking at spinning it seems we are all on a hunt right now for something we misplaced...I found mine Saturday. Mine was the skein of Trekkings that my son bought me. Now that it has been found it will hopefully become a pair of fingerless lace gloves for #2 daughter.

Today I gathered the LI Cheese squash and took that to my mother to process. She is the baker in the family and will process it to use for pumpkin pie and bread. I picked more broccoli to make into soup tomorrow. I cut down the sunflowers that were growing in the larger garden and put them in the greenhouse to dry a little. One of them was purple. I have to go thru my seed packets and notebook and see where I got them. I didn't grow any other sunflowers so I don't know where this came from but I might just save the seed and see if they grow true next year. I picked up more of the butternuts and black walnuts. Mom said I should get some hickory nuts also but I have to research which are the real hickory nuts and which are what they call pignuts. I remember it had something to do with how many leaves they had. I carded up some more wool so when I start to spin I won't have to stop until I have enough to finish the sweater. I also knit a headband. We were going to start shearing but the man was tired, sat down and fell asleep and I let him. He does so much and deserves to take an afternoon nap when he can. I made some Original and Hot & Spicy Chex Mix put it in freezer bags and then in the freezer for the guys to take fishing when they decide to go in October. I think the best dates will be the 12th-14th. I picked some apples and tomorrow I want to make apple pie in a jar. The man loved it last time we made it.

Needless to say the Hemlock did not get blocked but it is on the list for tomorrow.

1 comment:

cyndy said...

Ihope you saved a few squash and pumpkins for the "Great Exchange" at spinning this Friday--
The purple sunflower is the Hopi Black...I am sure I gave you seed for this...was it last year?

I expect to see that Hemlock soon, I know you are just keeping us all in suspense!