Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend

Well the guys went fishing this weekend, leaving us girls all alone!! We went to the soccer game on Saturday and froze. It was 49 degrees with 10-15 mile per hour winds which means it felt like 36-40 degrees....cold. She quickly recovered from the cold and went with her friend to a school dance. I sat at home and thawed out.
Sunday, she went to her friend's bowling tournament and I walked up to the top of the mountain with my oldest daughter and my brother. The color's weren't there but the view was still awesome. Their is a small cabin on top of the mountain. In the early 70's a man from New Jersey bought an acre off my neighbor and my father put in a road thru our pasture to this site. The man built this kit cabin on a cliff. He probably wanted to get back to nature (no water, no sewer, no electricity or cable can get to it) but he was not a builder. He use to buy lots of firecrackers and throw them down thru the cracks in the floor to scare the rattlesnakes away. The road washed out time and time again and he had to walk up to his cabin. I remember he would park his car in the pasture and when he came back the cows would have licked the heck out of it! I also remember he carried a pistol and killed any snakes he saw on his walk to his cabin. This house was to be his retirement home but he never did retire there. Eventually my cousin bought the property as it abutted his, and they use the cabin to warm up during hunting season. Other than the running water I would love to live there. It has a field right behind the cabin for a garden and my goats could eat all the brush. My kids would hate it!!
But you ask did I do any fiber while they were gone...yes, I did. I had a pair of sideway gloves that needed to be sewn and I did that. Then I finished the main color on the tree skirt. I have to get the yarn for the trim to finish that. Then I picked up a keyhole scarf that I started and worked on that! I guess I am over the fiber funk!
And then you will ask did they catch anything...Well my brother did but he only wants a couple of steaks from it and gave us the rest of the 42 inch salmon. My boys had a great time. This was the oldest ones first time and he was awed by the size of them. The little man went once before and following tradition he spent most of this time in the water...they now call him Slip and Trip. They may go again this year depending on time and weather.
Well it is 25 degrees outside and since I am out of my fiber funk I need to go knit something to keep us warm!

1 comment:

cyndy said...

I wish I could have hiked up there with you...I have not been up there in years...I'm talkin` since I was pregnant! (I'm glad you waited until the frost came to chase the snakes into the ground)... My, the view has changed, I remember when you could see the convergence...which is where I went this weekend....