Saturday, October 21, 2006

Mr. D

Family faces are magic mirrors.
Looking at people who belong to us,
we see the past, present and future.
We make discoveries about ourselves.
~Gail Lumet Buckley

I think this is true of people who aren't family but have always been with you. Mr. D was a neighbor. He and his wife put up with me so much during my childhood. I was best friends with his daughter and I went out with his son and yet I have no idea how our families met. They were just always there. His wife (who is still alive but has alzheimers) I call Ma D.
Here is what has been bothering me since I got the call saying he passed away...Why didn't I call him Pa D? Dumb I know but still. My father died when I was nine. My mother is still alive and yet I called someone else "Ma" but even without a father I didn't call him Pa D. Why? He would have done anything for anybody. He never hurt me in any way shape or form. His daughter said I could do no wrong in his eyes. I even remember Ma D chewing my butt out for something I did and I pry deserved the chewing for and he stepped in and told her to leave me be. So why? I still don't know. But I hope he never took offense at that and thought he didn't earn the title because he did. So rest in peace Pa D you will be missed.

No comments: