Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March Fool

April 1. This is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other three hundred and sixty-four. ~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson, 1894

Even though it is not April Fool's Day I was reminded of what a fool I am today. Remember I said I had 6 ducks, 5 hens and a drake? Remember when I said I went to trade for an unrelated drake this past weekend? While today I was showing my sister the new drake while he was in the middle of doing what drakes do best in the Spring. Then it dawned on me the one doing the deed was not the drake I went and picked up!
Now in my defense I had never seen this duck demonstrating any on these male tendancies before and he also does not have the sex curl. He is old enough to have a sex curl. I could not go by plumage because these are all cross bred and when they are all squalking together you can't tell which sound is coming from which duck so I have always depended on the sex curl. See the one in the front (no sex curl) and the one close to the tree with a very noticable sex curl. I guess we will be making another trip to Farmer Dave's to drop this related drake off.Of course it makes perfect sense now why I have only been getting 4 duck eggs a day!

Grand total in eggs this month....90 duck eggs and 73 chicken eggs. The ducks always lay their eggs before I let them out. The chickens are on their own schedule and I haven't found some of their hiding spots....yet. Better luck next month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you are not the first, nor will you be the last, that some drake has fooled for a while. I'm sure his "sex" curl will appear, it is just a bit delayed. haha

I have many tomato plants and melons that are growing very nicely, thank you, under a grow light in the back room. I'm not ready to put them outside in my little portable greenhouse yet, but very soon I think because otherwise they will be too big for the grow lights.......LOL

:)