Sunday, April 05, 2009

Gratifying Greenhouse Time

The year's at the spring
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hillside's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven -
All's right with the world!
~Robert Browning

All week I have wanted to get into my greenhouse and finally get some seeds planted. I am soooo far behind but for whatever reason the planets did not align and I did not get a seed planted. Everyday something came up. Sis and I got alot done in the garden but if I didn't get seeds started soon all that work would be for naught.
But then Friday after home health came to install a telephone-scale, blood pressure/oxygen machine, I was finally able to get into the greenhouse. I was in heaven. The warm interior, the smell of dirt, the rain softly falling on the roof. I went into a gardening euphoria and was able to get all the paste tomatoes started along with the peppers, broccoli, and cabbage. I was abruptly jarred back to reality by the rain pounding on the roof and loud long booms of thunder. After a couple of booms I decided I better get into the house. Which was for the best since I had to get ready to leave.

After a quick shower I left to run some errands and pick up one of my wheels. A fellow knitter borrowed a wheel to see if she would enjoy spinning. She was addicted! Her husband saw the signs and bought her a wheel. She gave me a yummy braid of merino in purples and yellows...reminds me of a pansy (picture does NOT do it justice. Thank You Patty) I wanted to spin it but the weekend was upon us.
Saturday while the man worked 1/2 a day, I baked some goodies to take to a sick neighbor and a lady that works at our local feed store. On the way home I picked up a friends two kids to watch for the day. By then the man was home, while he cut up some oak logs and stacked them, I made beef stew and bread for dinner.
Sunday was a lazy morning but still ended up a fruitful day. The man changed the oil in my car while I was shopping with my sister. Then he cut down two trees. The kids and I piled the brush to be burnt at a later date. Leaving them to load the firewood, the man put my garden fence back up while I went into the greenhouse and seeded more.

This time I was able to do the slicing, grape, cherry tomatoes, and some squash that would not have time to produce if I waited to plant the seed directly.

So what I thought of as an unproductive week ended up with me being in a happy place. Mom ate better today than she has in weeks, I am close to caught up in the seed planting department, tree's are down, meat chicks moved, and the dogs even got a bath. All is right in my world and to keep it there for a bit I am going to bed!


cyndy said...

I'm straining to read your tomato labels! And you have a few that I don't...and I a few that you don't...if you have extras, we should work out a trade!

Glad that you got some good time with your seeds and soil ;-)

Sandie Knapp said...

Congratulations on getting your seeding done. Now you get to wait and see what all germinates. Best of luck to you.

The merino looks yummy, and you are right, it does remind one of pansies.