Friday, May 02, 2008

Belated Welcome to May

A delicate fabric of bird song
Floats in the air,
The smell of wet wild earth
Is everywhere.
Oh I must pass nothing by
Without loving it much,
The raindrop try with my lips,
The grass with my touch;
For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May
Shining after the rain?
- Sara Teasdale, May Day

And it did rain on the first of May. The smell of wet earth measures right up there on the olfactory sensation measuring stick with fresh mown grass, laundry right off the line, baby's, hay, fresh perked coffee in the morning. I could go on but I'll save you and stop now.
In the ocular department...the dogwoods are blooming
as are the cowslips.
The last two days of April we awoke with frost....
the poor birds shivered in their feathers and puffed up to stay warm. Since I don't have feathers, I gave in and turned the heat back on.Flowers that looked like this before the frost....quickly looked like this....
Luckily most of the pear blossoms and the apple blossoms were not out yet so hopefully the frost will not hurt this years harvest.

Something that did hurt was this...
Last night I was working on another set of Tiny Treasure baby socks. I was close to done but too tired to finish so I sat my knitting aside. "Not me" knocked it off the arm of the sofa and on to the floor, and "not me" found bending at the waste too strenous an activity and so when they saw it there left it there and "not me" stepped on it. Luckily KnitPicks gives you six needles and I only use four when doing socks so I was able to finish them.However, this did make me realize just how much I have to teach my kids so far as money because they didn't see any importance in picking them up because "they only cost a couple of dollars"! They think that our food is free because we raise it! OH God I wish! Now the reason I didn't finish the socks last night was because our Xbox 360 had a glitch about a week ago. The man said he would try to fix it and hasn't had the time. #2 son stated last night we should go buy a new one just because the Xbox live is paid for the year. He started getting really obnoxious about it so I told him he now had two choices. He could wait until after I get in my house for the man to fix it since he ticked me off thinking that the game system was more important or he earned the money to pay for a new one. He says he can't get a job. I told him I would pay him but he will only get paid for the time he works and we will follow work guidelines. So he wanted to know how much. The federal minimum wage will be $6.55 in July. I told him I would pay him $3.50/hour. He wanted more. I said if minimum wage for a full grown man is only $6.55 I am not going to pay him the same when he will only be doing 1/2 the work and take double the time! We played with this once before and it didn't work as he decided he didn't need whatever it was he wanted then and I doubt it will last this time but I think I have to make the kids stick to this work a little because they do nothing other than take out the trash and do the evening dishes. The older two keep telling me how spoiled they are and I would defend them but now it is their "I deserve" " the world owes me" attitude is starting to grate. I think this summer is going to be interesting!
And now that I have vented I will leave you with a little surprise that showed up at the feeder whom I don't see often...Rose breasted Grosbeak. There were two of them out there with the blue jays and cardinals.

No comments: