Saturday, February 02, 2008

Woods in Winter

As the light grows longer
The cold grows stronger
If Candlemas be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight
If Candlemas be cloud and snow
Winter will be gone and not come again
A farmer should on Candlemas day
Have half his corn and half his hay
On Candlemas day if thorns hang a drop
You can be sure of a good pea crop

As you know by now the Groundhog did see his shadow and we are going to have 6 weeks more of winter. I know yesterday was definitely winter-ish. The kids got to stay home from school and we went for a walk in the woods. The woolland inhabitants were scarce...they had brains enough to stay inside. But then again if we would have stayed inside we would have missed all our little discovery's.

So we walk by the car covered in iceand start up the hill and find life of a different variety. Who ever says the woods are dead in winter just has not taken a walk in them. They are brimming with life. But even in death can be interesting and beautiful.
We eventually made our way up to the cave, which trust me it was no small task. Inside the cave we were out of the elements and found one of the more freeform discoveries of the day.We came back in for hot cocoa and some video games. It was a great day.
So did that distract from that fact that the bear was not touched? No? Would you believe I am leaving it to work on during the Super Bowl? No? Damn! OK make it tough on me...Would you believe I am intimidated by the little teddy bear? Yeah. All those pieces which were so quick to knit...well I want this for me, and I said I would be ruthless so if I dont' do it I don't screw up, see the method to my madness? Oh well works for me temporarily.
Oh yeah, one more thing....GO GIANTS!!!

1 comment:

cyndy said...

Beautiful images from your walk.

Good thing you went walking before the bear wakes up...that cave looks like a nice den!

As for the other bear, handstitching can be quite relaxing, and it is also where your little Oliver will come to life... ;-)

...can't wait to see what kind of personality you give him....(I'm sure you will give him the same kind and generous nature that you yourself possess!)

oh yea...and HOW about those Giants??!! victory is sweet!