Friday, November 02, 2007

Something waits...

I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show. - Andrew WyethLike the sleeping landscape something awaits in a ball of yarn, it's whole story doesn't show either. However, I have been busy recently trying to make a story out of the string. After several unsuccessful attempts at another Hemlock Ring, I switched over to the Skipping Stones Afghan. The Stones is crochet which uses more yarn so it is awaiting a yarn delivery to have its whole story revealed. So I took another skein and knit a pair of the Christmas Eve Cabled Mitts . So quick and easy that I will pry do more of them. But knowing that I can't do the same project right in a row, I started the Peekaboo Mittens. I love these! Again easy but useful. I have one done and the cuff of the second started, hopefully I will finish them today. Same color as the fingerless because I finished them while away from home but still had guilt free knitting time left so I cast on for the peekeboos so as not to waste it!

I have been on Ravelry looking at so many patterns, both the Mitts and the Mittens came from there. I also have some in que that I want to make for Christmas and others that I will save for after Christmas. The bad part is seeing them all there I tend to say "oh so and so would like this or that" and I am starting to overwhelm myself with this impossible to do list!

We had a really hard freeze last night and as I am sitting here looking out the window, there is non stop motion in the woods as the leaves are falling. The sun just made it over the ridge and even though it has been light for hours it will only now start to warm up a little. And when the sun no longer warms it enough I hope to have a stack of yarn stories to warm the people I love.


1 comment:

cyndy said...

The skipping stones is lovely!
Funny- I posted about keeping warm today too...musta been that frost last night!