Monday, November 12, 2007

The First Snowfall

The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found? ~J.B. Priestley I know others could think of a 1000 other things that they would love to wake up to, but I love waking to see the world all white and sparkling. Maybe it's not the best way to wake up but it definitely ranks up there pretty high in my book. There is a silence as everything and everybody is tucked in all nice and warm...and that hush is only heard during a snowstorm, then the plow trucks come and ruin it. We didn't need plow trucks this time as it didn't stick to the roads but it was beautiful. It was gone by noon so didn't hinder any plans which was also good as we had a busy weekend.

We got mom's fences up around the rhododendrums, plugged in her heating tape on the waterline and took the garden hoses off and wound them up for storage. We helped a friend take a truck load to recycling, all the laundry got done, the food shopping got done, had a snowball fight with younger son, brought home a load of hay, the water lines all got crimped. I started dyeing some wool, red for a Christmas stocking and a black walnut dye just because. They are just sitting, I will show pictures when they are done.

I also started a second star afghan. Rotten picture as it is hot pink but with the flash on it brightened it too much.The first one was laying out on a bed after I took a picture of it....a wet muddy black dog that was left alone in the house and should have known better decided that this light pink and white afghan made a perfect place to lay down. I work on the afghan when I don't have the brain capacity to handle the chart for the stocking. So today's agenda includes more work on the above projects and making venison jerky. My brother got an 8 point buck while bow hunting Saturday and told us we could have it. We butchered it yesterday and got about 50 lbs of boneless meat. Today some of it will go into the dehydrator and a stew but I know before too long the man will want venison chili.

No comments: