Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Garden is Done

It is the month of June
The month of leaves and roses,
When pleasant sights salute the eyes,
And pleasant scents the noses" ~ Nathaniel Parker Willis


They say that all good things must come to an end...the wonderful weather we had is going to get HOT all over again.  I love it in the  70's..  The 80's is pushing it and 90's forget it.  As Yukon Cornelius would say... "It isn't a fit night out for man nor beast."


This weekend the weather was gorgeous.  The man worked half a day on Saturday.  While he was gone I planted  four different types of melon plants, and three different types of squash plants.  When he got home we went shopping for the fence to go around the new section of the garden since the corn was already coming up.  We got that installed and called it a day.  


Sunday I went for my blood work early in the morning so my coffee-less time would be short (best for all involved!)  When I got back home we dropped #2 daughter off to babysit, and #2 son left with my brother to do a tree job.  The man and I accompanied by my friends daughter walked the pasture checking fence and pulling milkweed.  Luckily the only snakes we saw were the harmless variety sunbathing on the stonewall...



The sheep and chickens would watch for a while then go back down to the barn.  They would spy us again and all come running and then go back down to the barn.  


By the end of the day, all the mowing and weed whacking got done and so were we.  Found a chicken sitting on eggs so hopefully I will be getting some newer stock since some of the ladies are hitting their golden years.  


We do have a new farm resident...dropped off by someone who no longer wanted him/her....


We can get close but can't catch it yet.  It has been there for a couple of days.  And by the same hedge row...a native.




Yesterday I managed to squeeze some more tomato plants into the garden and plant two rows of green beans.  Last night the man re-tilled an area for me to plant some old dry bean seed of which I only have small amounts...Dragon Tongue, Trail of Tears and  Hidatsa Red ...so this morning I planted them. Now I think the planting is done and we will move on to weeding/mulching.  Hopefully the picking/processing will be good this year as the shelves are getting bare.  


These never made it anywhere near the freezer!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it just make your blood boil when you see a domesticated animal abandoned like that. Why people assume they will survive, is beyond me. And such a pretty little bunny too.

Those strawberries look yummy! Hope you have a bumper crop! :)