Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Changing weather

"Lord, it is time. The summer was very big. Lay thy shadow on the sundials, and on the meadows let the winds go loose. Command the last fruits that they shall be full; give them another two more southerly days, press them on to fulfillment and drive the last sweetness into the heavenly wine." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Yesterday there was some wild weather.  Fortunately we only got the winds where around us they had inches of hail that shredded the leaves and runined what was growing in their gardens.  Apples, pears, acorns, hickory nuts and black walnuts were tossed about.  As my garden is far from over I am glad the worst missed us.

I did notice that with the changing weather my mind has gone from the garden being the priority to preparing for winter.  The man and I approach this from different directions.  He starts to split wood and I start going to wool festivals!   And you have to admit that looking at this

is so much better than looking at a stack of oak, birch and hickory!

This past weekend was the Endless Mountain Fiber Festival.  We went on Saturday as it was a beautiful day.  I didn't buy much just a 12 inch ring for doing the rug hooking, a skein of green alpaca sport weight yarn  from Times Remembered and 4 oz. of the lightest gray Finn from Stillmeadow.

Had my eye on a bag of alpaca/finn from Dunn Spun Yarn, but decided to walk around first and when I came back it was gone.  Which was probably for the best since I need to send my own Finn out to get carded. 

We got a little rain Sunday which we really needed.  It is cloudy and coolish (high of 56 degrees).  Perfect day to make use of a magazine I picked up from Taste of Home featuring all soups.  I love soups, stew, chowder whatever Love them all.  We picked the Cheeseburger soup and homemade bread.

It was deliciously filling after a busy weekend of fiber.... and wood splitting....room cleaning.  Yes that is what the kids did on Sunday, fall cleaning in their rooms!!! I know the shock was nearly more than my heart could handle.  The loads of "dirty" (aka laundry mom washed, folded and put on their beds, they kicked it off on to the floor and the dog laid on it)  laundry was almost more than my machine could handle!  This should have happened before all the school clothes were bought but football and canning held that up.  They think I need to follow suit but my fall cleaning usually gets done when all the canning equipment gets packed away for the year and that hasn't happened yet.

So like the changing weather which is 1/2 summer and 1/2 winter I am stuck in the middle with 1/2 gardening and 1/2 preparing.  It was only 45 this morning so I know which is going to end first.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Ah yes. Preparing for winter. I can relate - he does the wood, I do the wool. We all have our jobs to do! hehehe. Hope you have a great day!

cyndy said...

You are so right...time to start thinking warm thoughts...or thoughts about how to keep warm!