Friday, April 30, 2010

Windy Week, Productive Weekend?

When the April wind wakes the call for the soil, I hold the plough

as my only hold upon the earth, and, as I follow through the fresh
and fragrant furrow, I am planted with every foot-step, growing,
budding, blooming into a spirit of spring.
- Dallas Lore Sharp, 1870-1929

Hopefully the plough will be working on my garden tomorrow.  I am itching to start planting something, anything.  The wind has to have dried up enough of the rain to make it possible.  The greenhouse is getting so full that I have to take plants outside just to move around in there.  Yesterday I felt bad for the poor tomatoes, they were just whipping around in the wind.
 I console myself that this is suppose to build stronger stems, another "what ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"  While the tomatoes were risking life and limb, I transplanted some and started seed for more squash.  Mr. Gobblesome didn't particularly like the wind blowing the wind chimes.  He puffed right up everytime.
Last night my cousin-in-law and I went to a discussion for consumers and producers on buying local in our county.  It started out as a discussion on why buying local is so important (some of which was pretty enlightening) and moved on to local food sources and options.  Most of what was toted was food and putting in a small garden to produce some of your own produce, either in your own yard or a community garden.  CSA's were even discussed but nothing was mentioned about canning/freezing.  It is great to produce or buy fresh but to further that along why not can or freeze it when the product is available.  We were told to take our produce/herbs/eggs/meat to a farmer's market but nothing was offered on the legalities of doing so.  They did say based on the results of this discussion that they would offer one solely for farmers and producers so I am hoping more of the info I am looking for will be offered there. 

They discussed the movie, Food, Inc. which I haven't seen and from the sounds of it I guess I am pretty lucky to be eating my own eggs, chickens, pigs, beef, and vegetables.  One day I will have a dairy cow.  I just hope it happens before I am too old to milk the darn thing.

I am dog sitting this weekend while friends of ours go down to Richmond for the NASCAR race.  Since I am not going to MD Sheep and Wool, the ideal plans for the weekend would be getting the garden plowed and getting the sheep sheared.  Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: