Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It fell and fell

"The cold was our pride, the snow was our beauty. It fell and fell, lacing day and night together in a milky haze, making everything quieter as it fell, so that winter seemed to partake of religion in a way no other season did, hushed, solemn." - Patricia Hampl

Yesterday it snowed all day.  We would have a period of snow and then it melted, more snow, more melt.  This continued until the late afternoon and then it was all snow and quickly accumulating.  My son called when his power went off about 7:45.  We were feeling quite smug in out lit house until about 8:30 when ours went out.  We got out the generator and watched tv until about 10:15 when the electric came back on.  We reset the bedside clock and the coffee pot.  Whereas I was looking forward to getting up and making a perked pot of coffee the man is all about having his coffee steaming hot and waiting for him before he crawls out from between the covers.  The electric went off and on all night.  About 5 o'clock we got up to a wonderland with 8 inches of snow!
When the man left for work, #1 daughter and I shoveled paths around the house.  We shoveled an area for the chickens to come out.  Although the snow is wet and heavy this time, there is no wind making it quite comfortable to be outside.
The electric played havoc on all electronics until it warmed enough for the snow to fall off the branches. After breakfast and more news watching, #1 daughter decided to leave for home today because this is our forecast...

 A SECOND...AND PERHAPS MORE POWERFUL STORM...IS EXPECTED TO

IMPACT THE REGION FROM LATE TONIGHT...THROUGH THURSDAY... AND
INTO FRIDAY. A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE ON THURSDAY
AND THURSDAY NIGHT...AS A STORM CENTER INTENSIFIES NEAR NEW YORK
CITY.
STORM TOTALS OF A FOOT OR MORE ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

ALSO...STRONG GUSTY WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP FROM THURSDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY...LEADING TO SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND
DRIFTING AND POSSIBLE WHITE OUT CONDITIONS.

Whereas this past storm really only accumulated in the three eastern counties, this next one is going to be more wide spread.  If she didn't leave during this small window she would be here well into this weekend.  Now she will be home in time to have a short nap from the stress of driving and then be awake for Sir T to take her to dinner!

We have been busy while she was here.  Lots of molding got stained and during breaks she baked an awesome Paula Deen apple cake and I baked bread. The real yeasty, knead it, let it rise, punch it down, six loaves at one time type of bread!   It was my mother's recipe and I had always wanted to try it but chickened out and did the Artisan Bread in 5 instead.  I made some mistakes and it didn't rise as much as when my mother made it, but everyone loved it.  Now I just have to get to the store for more flour as I can see this being a continuous thing.
And I figured I am going to spin up all the gray wool.  Maybe when the gray is gone, Spring will be here.  I am picking up needed supplies for starting seeds this weekend so it better get here soon.  Hopefully this storm will be Winter's last hurrah.  Now I have to go fill up water jugs and bring in more firewoods...just in case.

FYI:  Only 18 days until Daylight Savings Time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How bout that weather report? Sucks, doesn't it?

We didn' get 8" up here, but I do have about 4-5" of new snow that fell overnight. Like you I'm hoping that what is coming will be Winter's last hurrah. They are telling us to expect around 15" plus this time. I guess it was bound to hit us at least once before Winter ended. So far it wasn't too bad most of the time. Just so darn cold and windy!

Fresh bread always smells wonderful, and that Apple cake sounds pretty good too. I hope you all enjoyed every bit.

I hope the spinning will bring you out of your dulldrums. It sure works for me. :)