Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day

I think that no matter how old or infirm I may become,
I will always plant a large garden in the spring. Who can
resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from
participating in nature's rebirth?- Edward Giobbi

Like the quote, I am always so eager to get the shovel in the soil and seeds in the ground. I inevitably pot up more than my garden can hold because I would rather have too many than too few. I am transplanting, weeding, raking or repairing fences. If nothing else being sick has awarded me the time to sit and watch this spring unfold. I am amazed at the vibrancy of the green grass, the bronzy green of the new hops and the yellows, soft pale yellow to the bold almost neon yellow, the deep purple of grape hyacinth and reddish flowers of the quince. Uusally I just listen to spring while I am out there but don't take in the emergence of color.

Although not really up and running yet, I have had time to seed some things and I have been catching up on the laundry. The man did a great job of keeping up with what the children brought him…the children however didn’t bring him all of it! The weather has been pretty good in co-operating and I have been line drying everything. I love the smell of the clothes fresh off the line, you can’t bottle that no matter what. I was also able to get some chives cut up and they are drying.

I slept well last night for the first time and the numbness has left my fingers so today I may try to knit or spin. I was able to finish the baby bolero. Springs need to be worked in and it needs blocking but it's done.
In farmy news, the sheep and goat still have to be sheared. I would like to atleast get two done this weekend. We picked up two pigs on Sunday and two of the ducks have started to sit so I am expecting ducklings about the 26th of May.
And now I think I am going to plant some pea's before the rain showers come. Happy May Day

2 comments:

Elise said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! I get migraines (although rarely) so you have my sympathies. I've never had an experience like yours though - very scarey! Usually just intense pain and vomiting but now I have that wonderful drug Imitrex! I love to garden too and its nice that you have that to take your mind off of your troubles!

cyndy said...

The landscape is beautiful these days! The baby bolero is so cute!

Take things slow...let me know if you want some help with the shearing!