Friday, April 27, 2007

My adventure

One way to get the most out of life is
to look upon it as an adventure.~William Feather

OK so that is how I am going to look at it... I went on an adventure this week. I awoke Sunday morning to my arm feeling like it was outside of the covers and the rest of my body was warm. I moved and found out that my arm was under the covers. Hum okay I tell myself it is time to get up. I stumble and I mean literally stumble to the bathroom. I feel like I slept on my left side all night and I have pins and needles. Sit down to do what nature called me in there to do and realized one of these things aint like the other and by that I mean butt cheeks. One was normal and the other was numb. Okay, still not awake but 1/2 way able to store this info. Finish in that room and stumble to coffee pot realizing if I lived in a round house it would be so much easier as I was walking toward the right. I felt like I was drunk. I would tell my body what to do and it would do what it wanted.

Woke the man to give him this news. Not wanting to be an alarmist, I figured I would watch tv and see how I felt. He went to do the animals and I decided to walk out to see him. Remember the round house well we should have round property also, so while circling I did run yes literally again run into him. As he likes to hover, I told him I was going to call Gwen to take me to the emergency room. Not that his hovering is bad but I am starting to get scared and he would try to take care of me but not be able to as is not a dr and I would get irate...Can you believe it!!! Yes I know he is there because he loves me and wants to make me better and I am a mean bitch but at least I know that and don't put us both through it. Anyhow, Gwen is someone who will take control for me while I just lay there and feel like crap and she is savvy in medical. Call her and tell her what I want and that I am going to take a shower and will see her in a few.

I don't call nobody because I will be home in an hour -I can walk, talk, carry on adult conversation and I was able to squeeze both of Gwen's hands with equal pressure.....They see me coming and don't even make me sit down and sign in but take me right to the back of the double doors for processing. In minutes I am hooked up to an EKG and the Dr is poking and prodding and asking tons of questions. I have a FALL RISK wrist band on the left and a ID band on right arm. Headache is starting to come back...rolled down for CT scan, stop by for chest Xray. They are talking, head is pounding, Gwen has taken over and boy am I glad. Blood is being drawn out of one arm, IV installed in another and a dose of something was shot in....Hands grab for the back of my head because I know without a doubt that is is going to lift of my freaking shoulders. Nurse tells me the druggies like this effect --what a bunch of masocistic jackasses.

I'm put in a room, given Aggrenox as they suspect TIA's (mini strokes) caused by the migraine. In between Sunday and Thursday afternoon when I returned home I had more drugs than in the last year or more. I had been given more Aggrenox, Prednisone, Imitrex and I do unfortunately remember an anti nausea suppository or two.

I was sent down for an MRI right after they gave me a prednisone shot and an imitrex. The MRI was not open. I itched like I was sitting on an ant nest and the noise of that machine...do you know how long 1 1/2 minutes is? It is a really really long time. Thirty minutes later I was returned to room. I remember getting a needle at 8 PM and by 9:30 I wanted another, the pain was just so bad. They ended up diagnosing it as a status migraine.

I was sent home with prednisone to wean me off and Percocet to help if I get another. They are unsure if it could happen the next migraine or 100 from now or if it will ever happen again. But during the MRI they found that I only have one artery in the right side of my neck where I should have two so I guess some things happen for a reason. I have blisters from the meds inside my mouth, I still have tingling on my leftside and still walk like a drunk, a slightly less inebriated one but still a drunk. Gwen took off for less hectic grounds (visiting family) and the man delivered me safely home to a clean, smooth running house. The numbness is suppose to subside and my balance return to normal. Not bad for a small adventure.

Riding home I was amazed at the changes that accured during my adventure. The forsythia bloomed. The lovage grew ALOT it was just nubs coming out of the ground before my big adventure. The hops is reaching for the sky. The bleeding heart, the peony, the daffs, the cowslip. I see radishesand spinach and I have asparagus!!!!!!!!!!! I am in heaven...and it isn't the "final resting spot" or a drug enduced one just springtime enduced.

I woke up this morning long after the kids got on the bus, listened to the man ticking off the turkeys walking the ridge, and then to the birds, looked out on green grass and baby chicks which had also grown some and truly appreciated the Drs and their meds getting me back here. I hate taking medicine but I am truly glad it was there when I needed it. I am extremely lucky and I guess this was just another adventure to make me realize it. The tomatoes will eventually get started, the lettuce and mustard transplanted and all the other menial tasks done but for now I am just going to sit and get back my energy.

2 comments:

cyndy said...

So glad you are home and on your way to feeling better, PLEASE take it easy!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad your home. Didn't call Thursday so as not to wake you and disturb some family time. Didn't call Friday as I arrived home at 8:30 p.m. after having left for work at 5:45 a.m. I was destroyed and still had work to do as there were guests coming for the corporate villa who finally arrived at 11:40 p.m. I guess they didn't know 10 was my limit on a good day and early normally on a day like yesterday. Tried to call this a.m. but you were not answering the phone so I called mom and told her to send my love and hugs. When is your next MRI?? Hope you continue to get back to norm or you may have to round out the corners on your new home. It could be like a maze. LOL. Take care sis.