Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter

Awake, thou wintry earth--
Fling off thy sadness!
Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth
Your ancient gladness! Christ is risen. ~Thomas Blackburn

We sat with our coffee and watched the kids and the news this morning. Seems like after today the earth is going to warm up in our little neck of the woods. I started thinking of Easter's when I was a kid and how cold it was. I remember one Easter when I was young, we hunted Easter eggs in the house because like today, it was too cold to do it outside. The Easter bunny had hid an egg in the pocket of my coat and nobody found it--until I was standing in church and reached in my pocket! I think everyone in church knew by the time we left.

Another Easter we did a show at school and I was the bonnet wearer - as in....In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it,You’ll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade.- Irving Berlin The bonnet was an Easter basket sat upside down on my head. I was talking to a school mate from that period in time and they said their mother still has a copy of that. I told her it was okay to lose that photo.

Another Easter, we got a solid chocolate cross from Sunday School. We went to a friends house and my mother kept telling me not to eat all my chocolate as I was going to get sick....I didn't listen (whatelse is new!!) I got sick....numerous times! My mother keeps using that as a way of teaching my children. That is also one reason my children don't get alot of candy at Easter.

Now I am off to hunt eggs in the cold (24 degree's) because as Easter bunny told us to toughen up and hid them outside. I wish you all a Happy Easter and I hope you all have an Easter egg finding Easter instead of a chocolate cross one.

3 comments:

cyndy said...

Your easter memories made me think of one of my own...My father had brought all of his "girls" orchid corsages for Easter Sunday morning.
I thought I was so fancy...especially when the bees came to visit me (it) while I was standing outside....;-)

Happy Easter Judy!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY EASTER SIS. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE STILL TOUGHING IT OUT WITH THE COLD. I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE VERY SAD THAT YOUR GARDENING DAYS ARE DETERED ONCE AGAIN. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY.

Leslie Shelor said...

Great Easter memories! Everyone has a picture in their past like the "Easter Bonnet" one!