Monday, April 27, 2009

Spring or Summer?

Yesterday the twig was brown and bare;
To-day the glint of green is there;
Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
I know no thing so wondrous fair,
No miracle so strangely rare.
I wonder what will next be there!~L.H. Bailey
We have been having above normal temperatures which has Spring unfurling forward at an amazing pace. And while my sister finally took off her winter jacket, I have not been enjoying these temps quite as much. To temper my midday washouts I have been getting up earlier and earlier to enjoy the coolness of the morning in peace and quite...well at least human peace and quite as the birds make alot of noise!

I am too cheap to put the air conditioning on this early but I did borrow the mans chain saw to shave my legs! That was my one concession to passing Spring and heading full steam into Summer.

Each day something new is blooming or coming up in the green house. I still need to transplant my tomatoes and they are suffering from phosphorus deficiency. Taking them out from under the grow lights and putting them in the unheated greenhouse seems to have caused it. The low temperatures stop the plant from absorbing the phosphorus which gives the leaves a purple tint. Unfortunately it has only happened to the Amish Paste, both new seed and saved. Now that I have diagnosed it, you know what I will be doing today. When I did chores I grabbed some of this for dinner. Yum!!! It's not much but hopefully there will me lots more to come.

I finally finished my sisters "first" pair of socks and quickly started on a pair #1 daughter requested. I thought they looked too big so put them down until she came home to judge for herself.
I finished going thru the 10-12 bags (which ended up being 17) of fleece from Farmer Dave. I gave more to a friend, tossed more and started picking and washing the rest. The hot weather might make me shrivel up but it dries the fleece pretty fast.

On Sunday, in the afternoon heat, the man and I took refuge in the basement. We got alot of work done re-organizing and tossing things. Then I found out the man had alterative motives for cleaning the basement, as once there was a little room he rolled his motorcycle in so he could wax it "in the shade". #2 daughter and her friends took the spare kids pond, I had in case the ducks broke theirs, filled it with cold well water and sat in it to cool off.
The roaster chicks are getting big, and like me are not enjoying the quick rise in the mercury. But the new layer chicks are going without the light in these temps...buff orps, light brahma's, I think these are the Golden Campines, the Araucana's and the Rose Comb Leghorns. And this is the freebie bird which is either a Buff Laced or White Polish.
Supposedly the temps are only going to stay like this until Wednesday when we will be back to our normal 60-70's. I can't wait. Although I have enjoyed this burst of growth, I find I can wait on the heat.

4 comments:

finnsheep said...

Chicks are too cute!

Anonymous said...

The chicks are so cute. Buff Orps were my faves. Our Rhodie is nowhere near ready to bloom, but the Forsythia is in her glory. The socks are awesome!! Working on a pair right now myself. :)

cyndy said...

So that is why my tomato starts turned purple! Thanks for that tip!

Everything is looking lovely over there! Love those little chicks--makes me want some!

Beautious socks-- you knit like the wind!

Tammy said...

Pretty socks! Cute chicks! and thank God it's cooler today!!