Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Forsythia

Forsythia is pure joy. There is not an ounce, not a glimmer of sadness or even knowledge in forsythia. Pure, undiluted, untouched joy. ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

The forsythia by the shed is blooming. How could someone live in an area that was summer-like all the time and miss out on Springs rebirth? You wait (some not patiently) for each new bud and then after a nice rain and a couple of 60+temps, it just seems to happen over night. Spring makes me feel invincible...and then the aches and pains give me a rude awakening!

But...when you can't play in dirt you can play in fiber. I finished the merino roving. I split the roving from top to bottom. I spun one bobbin from top to middle and one from the middle to the end and then plyed them, which made them come out barberpoled. I got 16-18 wpi and 593 yards...now it will go in the cedar chest until I figure out what to do with it. I am waiting on a knitpicks order to make more socks.

#1 daughter and I had thrown some white roving into the dye leftover from coloring eggs. Yesterday when the kids went back to school, I dug out the pot to dye the baby blanket. When that was done, the pot was not exhausted so I threw in some of the tan/brown/gray roving (same as my sweater) and it came out looking like heathered teal which I have not be able to capture in a pic.
While the dye pot was on, I sorted some bags of fleece. I put some aside to wash, gave some to a friend and tossed some. I have 10-12 more bags to go through today.

Also on the list for the day is seeding more broccoli, which had sporadic results, flowers and herbs....hauling manure to the garden...entering my seed information into an excel sheet #1 daughter made up for me....raking the pond garden...stacking firewood...and the list goes on and on. I will be exhausted tonight but soon I will be getting sustenance from the garden....yup asparagus! It is just coming up!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about the joys and wonders of waiting and watching as Spring comes and warms the earth while at the same time kissing the trees to bring forth their loveliness. And what is more exciting that watching the earth give birth!! My Forsythia is on the very edge of bursting forth, but she holds back for the time being. But not everything is holding back. You have asparagus and I have Pasque flowers!

Have fun. :)

Oh yes, the roving is gorgeous! Where is the picture of the plyed wool??

cyndy said...

Wow!!

Well, you are ahead of us down there!

Still no forsythia open--full of bud yes, no bloom. Must be all that sun you get ;-) ...and no asparagus (I check them every hour or so...heh heh heh...)