Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Snow

Something told the wild geese
It was time to go.
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered—”Snow.”
~ Rachel Lyman Field

Something might have told the wild geese but they didn't tell me. I drove into town and was surprised by how busy the stores were. I asked a clerk what was going on and I was told it was going to snow.

I finished my errands and started home. The ice was forming on the river because it was so cold. It would be nice to have some snow to go along with that cold. And within 10 minutes of arriving home, it started to snow. By the time the kids got home from school the ground was covered. They had snowball fights on the walk home. Homework was put aside until later as this was the first "snow" we have had, every other time was just a dusting. Out came the snowboards and sleds and they were gone. The snow continued into the night. The kids went to bed with visions of no school the next day. Last week we had a dusting and they had a two hour delay so they just knew they would awaken to the TV saying school was closed. Little man thought it would be a wonderful birthday present. But alas, the morning arrived and the kids went off to school. Ever so slowly they drug their feet down to the main road to the school bus. Happy Birthday Little Man I wish there more snow so you didn't have to go.

No comments: