Thursday, January 12, 2006

PA Farm Show Sheep to Shawl

Every January PA holds it's Farm Show, this year is it's 90th year. For the past 23 years they have had a sheep to shawl contest. Ever since I started spinning I have watched the Sheep to Shawl and admired the teams work. I really wanted to go see this in person this year but it just wasn't in the cards. This year there were eight teams of six, last year there were only five.

For those who don't know- in 2 1/2 hours they have to shear the sheep, card the wool, spin the wool and weave a shawl measuring a minimum of 22" x 78" without the fringe. The fringe has to also measure a minimum of 5 inches on each end. The looms are prewarped in whatever the teams have decided. Awards are given for shearer, fleece, team choice, weaver, spinners and shawl. They are judged on their attire, display, attitude etc etc. Speed helps but the fastest is not always the winner.

It was suppose to start at 3 pm, judging at 6 pm and auction at 6:30 pm. Well PCN (Pa Cable Network) said it would air it all. So I got home in enough time to program the DVD recorder and settle in with my tissues and coffee. Tissues are for the head cold I have not for cryiing over the fact that my team didn't win or anything like that.

Well 3 pm came and the shearers started shearing- border leicester, shetland, romney and finn. I have spun the border leicester and shetland and loved them. Have to talk to Grace about some finn this year. As soon as the carders started carding and the spinners started spinning I had to go get my wheel. I started spinning some wool/angora mix that was in a kit Cyndy gave me for Christmas. The kit is from Countrywool and will make a pair of mittens just for me. I was going to wait until I got my other wheel (yes Curt said I could have the Traveler) to do this but didn't have anything else handy. So I spun and watched what I could as it kept blinking in and out.
Then they turned it over to the pony pull and they were to go back to the sheep to shawl at 6pm.

I watched pony pulling until 8:50 all of which came in almost blink free. So 8:50 pm they went to the awards and it started blinking in and out. Then they showed the first shawl being auctioned and then THE END. My jaw hit the floor....no judging, handful of awards and only one auction?! PCN was on my list. I came into the computer to find out the results and see what the other shawls went for and found nothing. I googled this morning to fnd results and nothing. This is a major event at the farm show and doesn't even get a blip on the 12th page?!?

I even went to PCN and PA Ag page to see pictures and nothing. No results no pics .....I am disgusted. But I found out they are rerunning the show at 9:45 and will try to watch it then to see more.

Not positive on all of this but this is what I could see/hear between blinks
1st Red Rose Treadling Toes from Lancaster Cty------- This is a new team, they were the first off the loom and first done. They all wore red bandana's and roses were everywhere. Shawl looked to be purple and red and they plied the weft which the others didn't. Sold for $350 at auction-- last years first place sold for $1200 so that was disappointing.

2nd Carl and the not so lazy kates from Montour Cty---------A returning team. Their inspiration was a piece of fused glass. Shawl was yellow. blues and green.

3rd Yorktown Spinners----- Another returning team. Their warp was part mohair and the weft was border leicester. The felted vests they wore were fall colors with fall decorations of leaves,gourds, pumpkins. The shawl was golds, burgandies orange (fall colors). They were the third group off the loom. If I remember correctly they have the record for highest price paid for one of their shawls.

4th Butler Cty Pedalers-----Another returning team. Their inspiraton was a picture of the Grand Canyon. The shawl was blue, red and sandstone.

5th Fast and Fiberous (4-H group from York Cty) Their shawl was all natural colored with no dyes. It was gray, black, white. They were the second off the loom and second done.

6th Warp 6 is from Mifflin Cty------A new team, they used a Finn sheep and dyed their warp with pokeberry which was gorgeous. The shawl looked reddish with white honeycomb.

7th 2 rams, 2 lambs ewe and me----A returning team. Didn't see much coverage on theirs.

8th Loose Threads-----A new team which had a shawl that was gary and white with a (excuse me I don't weave) up and down zigzag (think heart machine)

Cheers to all the teams. I know I couldn't do it with the pressure and the camera's literally in your face. I will sit at home and spin with them though!
So I am off to do house work before the show goes on at 9:45 and hopefully it won't blink in and out and I will get more info.

No comments: