Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fungus Amongus

“The Smurfs are little blue people who live in magic mushrooms. Think about it.” ~ Unknown

I use to love the Smurfs, Papa Smurf, Brainy Smurf, Smurfette but I don't know anything about magic mushrooms.  Actually I don't know anything about mushrooms but I have to learn because I now have this...

Yes I know it is a log.  A and #1 son are building a house.  The men folk spent a weekend clearing the area of all the trees for the house, garage and lawn.  We (my brother and I ) will make use of the wood later but a friend of his wanted to make use of the wood now.  From what I have read you can only innoculate freshly cut logs.  My brother loaded up some four foot logs and took them to his friend.  Said friend belongs to a mushroom club.  The other day my brother showed up at my house with this log.  If you look close you can see rows of holes that were filled with spore and then covered with bees wax.
I have been given instructions to bury this log 3/4 of the way and in two years I will have shitake mushrooms.  From what I have read so far, once it starts, this log will continue to produce for five years.  The man loves mushrooms and I had always thought of getting one of the kits so we are excited about this.  A long wait but then years of dining...similar to asparagus.  Now these babies I don't have to wait years for, just a couple of more weeks....
Oh I love me some tomato sandwiches, salsa, tomato soup.  Patience is a virtue.

1 comment:

finnsheep said...

Blush, cringe, hangs head, er... uh. I have your jars here. Will give them to Cyndy for you.