Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Time Living

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ~Theophrastus

This weekend with the proverb "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" ringing in our head we took sometime to do things we enjoyed. The man went fishing and caught a tagged trout (4.5 lbs and 21.5 inches long). So he caught us dinner and won a $25 gift from a local company. #2 son walked in the Relay for Life on Saturday and nursed his blistered feet in front of the TV on Sunday. #2 Daughter had a friend stay over and I got some fiber work done. I ripped out the neck of the poncho and reknit it, then gifted it to my daughter's friend. I also started crocheting a doily pattern with worsted weight yarn for a small lapghan.

Time is always on my mind - time to do this, time to do that, not enough time or a waste of time. Yesterday, I checked on Cyndy’s blog and she was tagged with a meme. One of the questions she was asked was “What were you doing 10 years ago?” I commented that time seems to have flown by since #2 son was potty training then and now he is in 6th grade! There have been so many changes in my life in the past ten years yet so much has stayed the same. Things that seemed important then don’t even rate a blink of the eye now. Thankfully, things have gotten better with each passing year.

Oddly, I find it incredulous that I graduated 26 years ago but not that I have a 24 year old daughter. I know my younger brother is married with two kids but can’t believe he is going to be 40 this year. How can that be? I think of him as late teens, early 20’s, which is probably where he wants to be!

Time continued to be on my mind while working in the garden. The dates I started the cabbage were written on their tags. Audrey (huge Thank You) gave me lots of tomatoes plants which were bigger than what I had so I was wondering when she started them. I planted 20 lbs of potatoes, will there be enough time to harvest them since I got such a late start. Where is the time going to come from to weed, mulch and process all this if the garden grows well? Then it dawned on me, time seems to be like money at Christmas time. You don’t know where you find it but find it you do.

To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.- Emily Dickinson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis, was just commenting to mom last night about baby bro. Said I found it hard to imagine him turning 40. Also said that since she said she disowned me at 30 cause she was too young to have a daughter that old, how DID it feel to have your YOUNGEST turning FORTY! LOL... there was a small silence and then a chuckle. Guess it was only relative at the time. It is weird how our perceptions change and some are easy to fathom and others are beyond us.

cyndy said...

NiCE catch!!

And PLEASE let me know when you decide to divide that Iris! It is gorgeous! I'll trade you one of mine (would you like a nice salmon pink?)

My sis told me not to look back, she said I might see something chasing me!!

Anonymous said...

favorite moooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!