Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer

Then followed that beautiful season... Summer....
Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscape
Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Temperature-wise it feels more like Spring (71 degrees) but I am not complaining as it is much better than the 90's we had a short time ago. So much more gets done when you are able to work the whole day thru in the garden.

I got most of the greenhouse garden weeded on Wednesday before the downpours and pea size hail came. It quickly turned the driveway into a streambed.
Since I was unable to go into the garden yesterday after such a drenching. I worked around the yard. Unfortunately I worked in the yard when it was getting dark. I had weeded the beds on the outside of the garden fence early in the day. I decided to weedwack around the rock border. I was using my left arm as my right couldn't handle it anymore. I went to wack one weed with roots to China that I was unable to pull out earlier and it grabbed it and pulled the weed wacker into my Nanking Cherries. I stopped the machine and walked away. In the light of day it looks as bad as I thought it was.
This morning I was able to go into the garden. I finished all the weeding and mulched everything. I finally planted the sweet potato slips and put some turnip seeds in. While I was moving some pots to mulch under them I found a snake. I hate snakes! My rule is the snakes can be in my garden when I am not. I took a 3 foot row marker and flicked him over the garden fence so I could continue working and not worry about where he was. I didn't realize the rooster was outside the fence. He quickly grabbed the snake and shook him. I thought he was a goner as he just layed there but when I went to flick him up into the woods he rolled over and made his way on his own. #2 Daughter came inside to find that he was a Red Bellied Racer.
Maybe the temps are what made him slow today.
Entering back into the garden I found that my garden huckleberries have flower buds on them.I can not wait to try these so it was a great find on the first day of summer. I have to go check the large garden because I think I might even have a head of broccoli down there! Actually I now that the greenhouse garden is completely planted and under control, I have to turn my attention to the large garden, weeding, mulching and hilling.
And tomorrow seems like it will be a good day to start as right now I am going to go spin some more. Actually I am going to let Spin-Off know that I still did not get my magazine, then I am going to spin. And I offer up proof that I have actually been spinning. The most adorable puppy ate the tip off one of my needles....the same set that the children broke two of ...so I have no spare to finish the second sock hence my knitting time has become my spinning time. I may even take the wheel outside and enjoy the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor snake, stalking your garden for nasty bugs and other nasties and he ends up being flown across the fence and attacked by the rooster. If I were that snake I would leave your garden to the varmits!!!

Hope the cherry wasn't damaged too much. I'm dangerous with a weed whacker too, that is when I can hold it long enough to get anything done.

So, where is some of this pretty hand spun yarn you are making? I want to see!

Take care :)

Tammy said...

Yucky snake! Pretty yarn! Do you have a project planned for it?