Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Little Seeds

Little seeds we sow in spring
growing while the robins sing,
give us carrots, peas and beans,
tomatoes, pumpkins, squash and greens.
And we pick them,one and all,
through the summer,through the fall,
Winter comes, then spring, and then
little seeds we sow again. ~ Else Holmelund Minarik

And that is what I spent yesterday doing…sowing seeds. I disinfected the pots and flats and while they were drying in the sun, I started transplanting some plants. I have a flower garden in the middle of the garden because it was the end of the garden at one time but the garden got pushed past it. I was going to leave it but the plants have gotten bigger and are taking up space I could use to plant edibles. I moved some daffodils, golden marjoram, irises, walking onions, garlic chives, tansy and evening primrose. I planted some by the greenhouse but the rest is going to get planted up by the barn. I don’t want to get rid of it as I may want to plant some around the house when it is done.


So I seeded Mammoth Red cabbage (for sweet and sour cabbage), Late Flat Dutch (for storage and sauerkraut). I seeded zinnia, cosmos, angelica, chamomile, snapdragons, Italian Large leaf basil (for pesto), Atlantic and Nutri-Bud broccoli (freezer), Grand Rapids lettuce, and Osaka Purple mustard. There were others but I forget them right now.


All in all it was a great day. After all that I came in took a shower, made dinner, ate it outside and then I carded some fiber while watching TV. Fell asleep to the raccoons chirping outside and the dogs growling at them inside. Woke up this morning and as in Springs past found the forgotten muscles!


So I worked the kinks out while spinning up what I carded and then plied it. Now I am off to finish cleaning up the garden.

3 comments:

debey said...

hwey!!!!
I want to see a picture of the entire greenhouse!!!!!!i'm missing my ''greenhouse time''.........debey

Anonymous said...

Any day you can spend doing something you love and outside is a GOOD day. Sounds like you had a marvelous one.

cyndy said...

ummmmm...Osaka purple....uummmmyummm..