Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Spring has me hopping

Trying to keep up with all the end of the school year stuff and doctor/dentist appointments boy/girl scouts and gardening is exhausting me. The heat wave we are in hasn't helped either.
As an update of what is going on...the blackberries are blooming as is the sweet rocket along the road and my iris'. We had t-storms last night and it brought up the second planting of peas and the cuc's. The potato's are up and the bettles are already eating them. Mom and I have been picking them off to lessen the distruction. In my garden is planted the grape/cherry/pear tomatoes, basil, parsley, yellow squash, garlic, jalapeno peppers, black hungarian peppers, beets, carrots, lettuce, peas, australian butter squash and one other that I can't remember right now. In Mom's we only got in the broccoli, cuc's, peas, potatoes and beans. We need to get the cabbage, corn, and tomatoes in as soon as we are able to walk in there, right now it is really wet and they are calling for more rain.
The goats and sheep are getting along by staying at different ends of the pasture. We lost two ducks down by the house to what we think is a fox. The female duck was setting on a nest of 7 eggs too, something came and ate them too. The other duck which we call Sister Mary Margaret is now setting on eggs. We went and bought two more ducks to replace the ones we lost, both are female Indian Runners.
I haven't been doing much fiber stuff to hot. I knit up baby mittens and bought some knit magazines at yard sales that I am looking thru. Curt made me a hand spinner similar to the rakestraw and I have spun a little on that.
Now I am off to get the kids in the showers and hit the bed as all the good tv shows have already ended.

1 comment:

debey said...

hey! ya'all can send some of that rain back this way.(south dakota)..we sure could use it...i'm trying to put in a new flower bed by an old well pump, and can't get the shovel to go in the ground!!we had the extreme heat, over Memorial Day weekend mid 90's pretty well took care of the moisture we had!