Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Some real fiber content

According to Knitters Review the 2006 Year in Yarn calendar states that Saturday was Learn to Spin Day. But if one already knows how to spin a fairly (in my happy world) consistent skein of yarn, what are you to do?....You let the enabler in your life drag you miles away from home giving you time to finish your pair of mittens without feeling guilty that the laundry/dishes aren't getting done. Cyndy had bought this kit from http://www.countrywool.com/ for me at Christmas and I had spun and plied the wool angora blend but hadn’t had time to knit the mittens until now. Anyhow, where do you go on this trip....to go look at a spinning wheel that HE thinks is a good bargain even though you don't need another wheel as he just bought you two new wheels.

Yep, he saw an ad in the Paper Shop, called and got directions and for less than 1/2 of what a new Ashford Traditional unstained cost he bought a 10-15 year old one with the lazy kate and four bobbins, knitty knotty, and a set of carders and a bag of roving. The lady said she lived on an island in the Puget Sound and once a year the sheep of the island were gathered up and sheared and everyone sat around and spun. She had to do it!.....Fast forward and she is on the east coast now and no longer interested, fact is it doesn't look like she spent much time working on it at all. I pry could have got away with paying $50 less but didn't want to rape her, I got a deal and she got rid of something that she no longer wanted so we are all happy.

So Sunday was spent testing driving the wheel. I spun up about 1 oz of white angora and plyed that and then moved on to the merino top from Stoney Mountain Fibers that I got at Rhinebeck and I spun a full bobbin of that. Then duty called and I had to return to the doldrums of laundry and making dinner!

Monday I was able to ply the merino together and I knit up a hat from some yarn I had spun previously and the white angora. Cyndy had told me about this hat http://www.knitlist.com/95gift/ski.htm and I had tried it before but with just a knit stitch. This time I did the garter stitch and changed color on the body and blanket stitched etc. This hat actually fits me! I like this pattern because it is so versatile. Will have to do more if the kids like them. Sorry for the sideways pic but you get the idea!

What else I have done….oh illusion knitting. I found this site… http://www.knittingknonsense.com/index2.html. A friend does a lot of knitting/crochet for the Breast Cancer Awareness and this site had an illusion knit of the pink ribbon. So I decided to do it and give it to my friend so she could see it. I would be delusional if I told you I would do a lot of this type of knitting. It was very easy to do but I am not the type of knitter that likes every row changing and having to read directions constantly. I am a mindless knitter, give me a couple of rows that I can quickly memorize and I am fine. Here is a picture of illusion knit. I should have gotten down lower so it would have stood out more but you can see the ribbon.

I still haven’t finished that sock but I will eventually. I think I am going to start on another pair with Chevron Lace that I found a pattern to on the net. And I still have to finish that Lincoln roving that had been my Olympic challenge to myself. It doesn’t look like the weather is ready to change yet so I guess I will have the time.

No comments: