Thursday, January 09, 2014

Old me, New Year

“Year by year the complexities of this spinning world grow more bewildering and so each year we need all the more to seek peace and comfort in the joyful simplicities.”  Women’s Home Companion  December, 1915


Oh a new year, new beginnings, new hopes and aspirations…why does it come at that time of year when I just want to burrow in with a warm afghan, a book, a mindless pattern, old movie or tv series.  Yesterday it was the Waltons and McLintock while sitting by the woodstove knitting…the simple life.

After the spring and summer of gardening and then harvesting/canning I move into holiday mode of making presents/baking/cleaning for company etc.  I need this little bit of down time to just vege.  Consider it my two week vacation, inside where it is warm.

After a short time of doing nothing but keeping the house and laundry cleaned and inhabitants fed I will emerge ready to face this  new year.

I will look through the canned/frozen goods and choose what seeds I want to plant this year and where I will put them. 

I will look at what the year has planned (so far just #2 son’s graduation) and decide if we should raise our own pigs again this year.  I could use a few more layers and will have to decide if I want meat birds too before I place my order.

I would like an orchard up by the barn and have even thought of a couple of trees for Christmas's year down the road.  I would like to move extra raspberry and blackberry canes up there along with elderberry but have to think of fencing to keep the deer out.

I will look through the patterns that peaked my interest and decide if they are something that still interests me.  I know I need new dish cloths and socks so they will go on the to do list.

I have lots of roving but I also have 6 fleece that I might send out to be spun for me as I will have 6 more come April.

Decision, decisions, decisions….only time and finances will tell.  Right now I have at least one more week of mental/physical hiatus.  Till then some randomness....
 Grandson stocking
Grandson stocking



Work with me...it looks like a heart right?


Summer resident only!
Grandson O in bubble heaven   



 I hope everyone one had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 
Boy a nap sounds wonderful right now.....

3 comments:

Linda said...

Isn't it funny how we just came through a couple of months planning, shopping, wrapping, cooking, baking, cleaning, decorating and entertaining....and then we start thinking and planning what we're going to do in the coming months! We need a break. When BH asked me "what're going to do today?" I say..."I don't know...what ever mood hits me". Take it easy, Judy. Hope you get some real down time and relaxation before the next wave of "have-to's" sets in!! Stay warm and cozy.

Linda said...

Btw, your Christmas socks are gorgeous!! As is grandson in the bathtub..LOL. And yes, I see the snow heart on the tree; great picture. Hope you're having a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Love your Xmas stockings. I never make things like that. Too complicated for me. And yes, I did see the heart in the tree, and it was not really a stretch at all.

I think the whole purpose of Winter is to give us "down" time. Time to sit and contemplate what has gone before, and what might happen around the bend. I'm sure Mother Nature knows what she's doing, driving us inside, and forcing us to slow down, if for just a wee bit. It's not just our bodies that need the respite, but our minds too. So you enjoy your little "vacation." You will come through it feeling much better for taking it. :)