Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest. ~ Douglas William Jerrold

We spent the weekend with family, friends and food. It was wonderful.  Saturday while the man was working I ran for feed.  #1 daughter, Sir T and #2 son went fishing.  We spent the rest of the day working around the house and Sir T treated us to pizza for dinner.

Sunday while #1 and I were cooking/baking in anticipation of going to a BBQ at my friend R's house, the guys and #2 son picked currants.  I weighed them and they brought in 10.12 pounds.  I have froze them until the heat wave we are in dissipaits a little. 

After they filled themselves at the BBQ the guys took the kids  fishing and my brother caughter a huge catfish.  The man cooks up some good catfish so he cleaned it and put it in the fridge.  We opted out of fireworks due to the heat and traffic.  Our town will have a fireworks display during its fair so we will see them then.  We finished the evening with coconut pound cake covered in strawberries and homemade whip cream.  Yummy!!!!

Monday we all slept in a little.  It was a wonderful slow day.  As lunch time approached the man started preparing the fish. I must say I love it when someone else cooks, but I would love it more if they also cleaned up afterwards.  We vacuumed the cars then decided to go swimming to cool of a little.  As we are in the water an eagle flies over, then starts circling and swoops down and grabs a fish out of the water on the opposite side of the river from us....not 50 feet away.  And where was my camera...at home again!  But what an awesome site.  Two more eagles were flying around but they never got that close again. 

When we got back to the house #1 and Sir T packed up for the ride home.  After sending them off the man and I got ready to go to a friends house for an early dinner.  Steak, shrimp, corn on the cob, potato salad...I am liking this other people cooking alot!!!  We came home about 9.  I called R and she drove over to drop off #2 daughter who had been spending the day with her kids.  While they watched tv we sat outside drinking  a very relaxing white russian made with homemade kahlua.  Relaxed me enough that I came in after they left and went right to bed.

But today is the start of the work week and the man left at 6:30 for his daily grind.  I watered 1/2 the garden yesterday morning and the other 1/2 is getting a soaking now.  I picked a couple of pea's and two kohlrabi....the harvest is starting. 
Before now it was only lettuce and herbs.  Not that I won't enjoy the chamomile or mint tea later or the didn't enjoy the basil prunings in bruschetta because I did, but I have been looking forward to something more substantial.  Today's peas and kohlrabi are just the tip of the iceberg if all goes well.  The yellow squash and zucchini will be pickable by the end of the week and the beans should follow by early next week at the latest.  The tomatoes will follow soon after.  The potatoes are blooming and I have thought of digging down and getting some small taters but have resisted the urge.

Just in case you think it was all food this weekend, there was also fiber.  I finished a "Bella" hat for #2 daughter but I over estimated my rows and there are not enough color repeats so I  have to make another.  I also plied the yarn I spun on the electric spinner.  I need more practice but I have more roving so now it is just taking the time.

The heat wave is suppose to be leaving (if you consider dropping down to 85 leaving) by the weekend.  Until then it is putting things in the freezer to be dealt with later, swimming in the river and watering the garden so I can reap some of what I have sown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you all had a wonderful Holiday weekend. It's good to take a break from the daily chores now and then, and refresh ourselves. I love those meals where someone else does the cooking, and the cleaning, too!

The hat is a lovely color, very nice. :)