Monday, December 07, 2009

First Snowfall

“The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event”
Yes our first snow! And it truly did look magical when I left the fire department on Saturday. I did a craft fair with my cousin there. Afterwards, I came home to sit by the fire and watch it snow. I was afraid they might cancel our night plans but they didn’t.

Saturday night was the local VFW’s prize bingo. All the money goes towards the kids annual Christmas party and the Christmas dinners they deliver to the needy/homebound. If you are a diehard bingo player you do NOT go. It is slightly unorganized and rowdy. If you want to donate to a good cause, have a couple of drinks and just have a night out, it is fun.

My mother had gone to it every year, then I started to go when I moved back home. I got the man going and last year #1 son and his gf came. This year the man and I, along with all four of the kids and significant others went. I thought this would give us a better chance of winning…..three of the kids won several times. The rest of us went bingo with others and only got picture frames or a bottle of wine. #1 daughter gave me some of her winnings…a $50 gift certificate to the local phone company and a $25 gift certificate to the local grocer. (Thank You)

Sunday was a very relaxing. #1 daughter started baking while I painted some more miniature houses for her village. She made caramel nut cookies, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter and chocolate chip. The baking gene passed me by and went straight to her. The guys filled up the holder with firewood and changed the oil in my car. Too soon it was time for #1 and Sir T to go back home.
I tried explaining to #1 that I didn’t make her a Christmas present this year (except the houses) but she said I had to be joking or I would break her heart. Well gee, pile the guilt on! After they left, I sat down and started knitting as any mother that did not want to break her daughter’s heart would have. I have tried this pattern before and didn’t get far but I will preserve and try it again.

Yesterday, the man returned to work. Yes, he got a clean bill of health and we are scheduled for a head to toe and everything in between physical the first week in January. Last week was so stressful and then the busy weekend so I am hoping things finally have slowed down. Of course the weatherman just said the kids will be home tomorrow as he is calling for a snow/ice storm. There is plenty of wood, the fridge/freezers/shelves are full so and I don't have to go anywhere. So....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Beautiful pictures!
Glad to hear the man passed his tests and is healthy...a good physical though never does any harm.
Happy knitting!

cyndy said...

Sounds like winter and Christmas are in full swing over there!

All this snow AND cookies?!
...some folks get all the luck!

BlueTulips said...

Your pictures are lovely. The cookies sound very yummy. I wish my baking gene would kick in this year. I think that DNA strand has given out.