Friday, July 24, 2009

Inconvenience

If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. ~Robert Fulghum

My latest inconvenince is this....I am not altogether sure but I think this is late blight on my tomatoes. You can read more about it from these links a friend sent me.... here, here and here.

This is what the Irish Potato Famine was all from. These pictures were taken last night in my small garden. I have to go down and look in the large garden to see if it is down there on the tomatoes and potatoes.

If you read the articles they say organic gardens will be hurt the most and that tomatoes could go up to $40/box. If it is in the large garden, my last hope for eating this winter is that the beans and cucumbers do something before the frosts hit.

So I am going to put my big girl panties on and go see what the large garden is doing. If you hear screaming you know what I found and that I did not handle this latest inconvenicne well. Bring tissues.
**UPDATE** Potatoes do show signs and will have to be dug. The tomatoes are okay so far and hopefully they will stay that way.

5 comments:

cyndy said...

I'm putting my fingers in my ears (la, la, la,...so I don't hear you scream)
..putting my rose colored glasses on and looking the other way...climbing into my boat for a trip down the big river (of De-Nile)

Yes...organic gardens always suffer the most when it comes to yields...sigh. (Tough decision, bring out the chemicals and ruin the pure soil, or suffer the loss.)

cyndy said...

PS...I understand the spores can travel 40 miles...

Tammy said...

DARN!! Well one of tomato plants is now nicely bagged and in the trash. The other 2 plants look healthy, so far and are showing some pink instead of green tomatoes...I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for sharing the info Judy and I'm sorry your garden "got hit".

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I do hope that your tomatoes are spared. I know this is happening all around. Not only do we get weather that is too cold and too wet, now this too. We seem destined to be very short of tomatoes this year no matter what. But I am crossing my fingers that your big garden remains safe. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy... Dolly, again... I just want to let you know how much I am enjoying your posts... I'm new to your blog, via Tammy, our mutual friend... and I am finding your words, and pictures so very interesting and refreshing. I can sense the importance of family in your writing... one that I, too, am forever thankful for. We also have the love of nature in common, the ever changing scene is always intriguing to me bringing both reward and challenge to my life. Our gardening is another commonality... speaking of challenges... this year tops them all! But the rewards are still there, often quite surprising ones that seem to pop up overnight! And, of course, the love of fabric ties many of us together... there's never an end to the possibilities in that arena!
So, know that your time at the computer is being appreciated... and I look forward to more updates. Thanks!