Sunday, July 19, 2009

Focus

Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”~ Greg Anderson

I am kinda likin' that saying because it seems to justify the fact that I have been starting things recently and not finishing them. It makes it sound like each project is just marinating because if I finish them the joy is gone, the journey over, the mountain climbed, destination met etc, etc, etc. instead of the truth which is "I don't feel like working on that"or "I want to use bigger needles" or "I am sooo incredibly tired of seed stitch" or "I haven't crocheted in a while"!

To lay it all out in the open...in knitting I have a pair of socks, the smock coat and a watch cap in various stages of production. In crochet I have a round afghan started but need more yarn to finish it so last night I started another crocheted afghan because I didn't feel like knitting. It has been a long, long time since I have had so many projects started...can't say I like it even if I try finding quotes to justify it! They say admitting you have a problem is the first step so maybe admitting I have startitis will lead me to finish something....or maybe it will make me throw my hands up in the air and go back to spinning more ...or start another. I can be fickle so who knows - either way I am covered since I went to the Audobon Craft Show and just happened upon Bitsy Knits where some corriedale roving fell off the shelf and into my bag so I was forced to buy it. Then as I was spinning around in her booth I knocked a kit for an earflap hat with sheep off and into my bag.
I apologized profusely for my clumsiness and felt duty bound to pay for them (That's my story and I am sticking to it!) The roving is beautiful and I started spinning it first thing this morning. And in between starting things I did manage to finish up some currant jelly under the watchful eye of one of the chickens. He is so use to getting treats that he comes knocking on the door for them now...Pavlov's chicken? During the heat of the day (and I use that term loosely this summer) the turkeys roost in the wild grape vines while the chickens venture into the woods to scratch. If they hear the door open they all come running. It scared the heck out of some visiting city kids who thought they were coming to eat them.

And just in case you think that scaring little kids is all we do for amusement around here I show you proof we do more. All the guys went fishing today. They started out in the river where they caught these bass. They moved into boats and canoes on the lake. My son didn't think my nephew was paddling quick enough so he leaned forward and to the side to really dig in and ended up tipping over. He lost one pole for his impatience but thankfully nobody was hurt. #1 son picks on #2 and calls him "Bob" because he says he falls in and bobs down the river in Pulaski when they go salmon fishing. #1 son's new nickname is now Flip. We are equal opportunity antagonists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the chuckles. You write with such humor, it's a joy to read your blog.

I don't blame you one bit for taking that roving. It is just gorgeous! The hats looks adorable. You can knit one up for me, if you have a mind to...........my ears get cold in Winter too! hahaha

Glad no one was hurt in the water. I've been dumped out of boats, and it can be a bit scary.
:)

cyndy said...

Who cares if you have a case of start-it-i-tis...You are a "process" person, right?? You are in it for the process...not the finished project :-)
(that is my story and I'M sticking to it!)

Love that you got to go to the Audobon Craft Show...and that there was FIBER there! And that you got some! YAY!

Nice catches ~

Tammy said...

Hey, at least your starting opposed to not doing at all.
Love the knitting stuff!...Darn! I missed the show this year :( and it looks like I missed alot too.
Nice fish!