Thursday, August 28, 2008

Heartache

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. ~From a Headstone in Ireland

There are days I hate farming and today was one of them. Our little Jersey heifer Annabelle died during the night. She was only with us a short time but we had such hopes for her. It was something I had wanted for a long time.

When we got her 11 days ago, we were told the next two weeks were crucial. She had diarrhea when we got her home which is normal due to transport. We alternated electrolytes and milk replacer. She recovered. Then we had 43 degree temps and she was cold and wouldn’t drink her milk. I got a sweater on her and got her to drink her electrolytes like I was told and she recovered. Then she started to have diarrhea again. We were told to stop giving her the milk replacer and give her nothing but the electrolytes which we did. Other than the one morning she was always ready to eat and finished it all. Her big beautiful eyes watching us go about our chores will be sorely missed. For being with us for such a short time she is leaving a huge hole.

Some people may find it hard to understand crying over the loss of an animal when we raise them for our food. Taking an animal to the butcher is hard also but you knew from the start that that was the path you were going to take. We spoil them all but we try not to get emotionally attached to the ones that are only staying for a short period of time. However if we know they are going to be here with us for the long haul we quickly lose ourselves to them.
I have been watching a friends kids all week so they were upset also. Needless to say I am happy this day is drawing to an end.

But before it does I will share some happy things….I have a picture of a 2x2 rib hat I did last week, along with the double sided cable scarf I finished last night. I love that pattern as it is quick and easy and looks good from both sides. Today I started knitting a valance for my spinning room. Technically it is a pattern for fluted lace edging that I got from here. It is quick and I am happy with it...now to just get in the house.

So far as the garden it is still producing. Saturday a branch broke off an apple treebecause it was so heavy with apples. I started picking them up and quickly filled a wheelbarrow. We have made a couple of batches of apple currant and apple blackberry jelly. There are still so many left. But I am not going to worry about them. I am going to go sit and spin away some of the tension from the day.

3 comments:

cyndy said...

Oh Judy, I am so shocked and sorry to read this....

...some things just cannot be helped...I'm sure this is a tough one to accept.

Tammy said...

Judy,
I am so sorry to hear about Annabelle.
Hugs2u,
Tam

finnsheep said...

So sorry to hear about her.

I just love the valance!