Sunday, September 17, 2006

Time passing

Yesterday at the kids soccer game my mother told me that 9/16 would have been her 50th wedding anniversary had my father still been alive. Later that afternoon as we were driving to my daughters house I was looking out and seeing the leaves that have already changed color and I started thinking of that and time passing. Just yesterday my father was alive, I had no kids, I was just starting to plant the garden...or at least it seems like yesterday. I think of the past 42 years and how fast they seem to have gone but seem like they haven't moved quickly at all. Then I remembered reading this....

In a race against time…
Quickly! Must leave
As much of myself behind

so then my mind went in that direction...do we spin, crochet, knit, weave, create so that something of us will be left behind? I think we do. I keep telling my mother to make a baby outfit and afghan for each of her grandkids to have for their first child so in case she is not here, there will be a piece of her for the next generation. Then they will know about her.

My youngest daughter keeps taking all the gloves I make. She looses them all the time and I said why do you take them if you are only going to loose them, I will go buy you some at Walmart and won't care if you loose them. To which she replies because you made them and I want to be close to you. I can't argue with that....we could of course ask why she keeps loosing them but we won't go there.

So in my effort to leave a piece of myself behind, I made this for my oldest daughters friends child. My daughter looked at the last sweater and said it wouldn't fit so I made a different one. Their family hunts and so I knit him a camo

sweater and then crocheted him a vest and hat to go over it. Hopefully it will fit him. I dropped it off yesterday.


The kids lost their soccer game but we did have some of this


which we haven't had in a week. That there is blue sky, not much but I will take what I can get!!! Today is suppose to be nice so I decided to dye some roving. I did a one gallon jar of kool aid dye in green and purple on the gray mohair roving. Then I boiled up some golden rod, strained it, added some alum (yes I know I should have mordanted the wool in the alum) and put in some cormo roving while it was still hot. Then I boiled up some pokeberry. I held the pot under the bush and clipped the branch of berries into the pot. Then I added some water and boiled it. I strained it, added some salt and then the cormo roving while it was still hot. Will this work...I don't know but I will take pics.


Now I am off to finish spinning the silk I got from Cyndi. Later hopefully the sheep and goat will be dry enough to shear before it rains more. Oh one more thing....Today is my elder sisters birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Now if she would just update her blog!

No comments: