Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Groundhog Day

From the photo below you can see I finished my first square and it looks like a square. I did it with some homespun light coopworth that Cyndi had given me early last year. I hadn't plied it very well! I finished this at 10:54 pm on January 31. It had to be done in January and Mary had already finished hers. Thats why I wanted someone to do this with me...MOTIVATION!

JT loved his b-day presents. He was suppose to go to Boy Scouts but wiggled that bottom lip to stay home and play with them....You did read "was suppose to" didn't you...Yes he got his way. He is only 9 that bottom lip thing still works.

Living in PA we all know of Punxsutawney Phil. Punxsutawney held its first Groundhog Day in the 1800s. The first official trek to Gobbler's Knob was made on February 2, 1887. According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring.
This all stems from Candlemas Day and was brought over to this country by the Germans. You can read more at... http://www.sacredspiral.com/Database/rome/rome06.html . Their version goes like this...If Candlemas Day be fair and bright,Winter will have another flight. But if it be dark with clouds and rain, Winter is gone, and will not come again. According to the Phil's website (http://www.groundhog.org/) he has seen his shadow 94 times, no shadow 14 times and no record 9 times. And he saw it again today...Trust me it was not sunny at 7:30am...Those news crews with all their lights and cameras were what was causing him to see his shadow. But being optimistic I have decided to have this page as my desktop.... http://holidays.bfn.org/spring/. It is a countdown to spring. I can almost hear the robins and feel the heat of the sun!!!

We kept track of how many eggs the chickens laid for the month of January...it came in at a whooping 208!! Not bad for 7 new and 5 old hens and the temps we had. I am proud of those little babies. I have already decided on this years picks, just have to decide when I want them delivered. Almost didn't get the butcher this year so I need to time things better.

Got a call from brother Kenny last night. He wants to move back home so bad. Said he would help with the farm! God, I love my brother, just wish it were possible for him to move. But since he can't at the time I might be raising a pig for him this year.

Spinning today- first time since before Christmas because of all the bad weather. Can't wait to see what everyone has been working on!!! I finished a hat this morning...directions must have been made for a child although it didn't say so. It fits like a skull cap on me! But soooo soft as it was done with one strand of wool and one of mohair. Guess Tori gets that one!

Well I am off to try something on circular needles- a new frontier to conquer!

No comments: