Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I love Fall!

"I love fall! Fall is exciting.
It's apples and cider.
It's an airborne spider.
It's pumpkins in bins.
It's burrs on dog's chins.
It's wind blowing leaves.
It's chilly red knees.
It's nuts on the ground.
It's a crisp dry sound.
It's green leaves turning
And the smell of them burning.
It's clouds in the sky.
It's fall. That's why...
I love fall."- Author Unknown

Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons. Summer and Winter are too hot or too cold..like the Three Bears, Spring and Fall are "just right". It doesn't drain you as quickly so you are able to get more done.

This weekend we cleaned up inside the house and laid the tile behind and under where the woodstove will go, did more spackling, installed a kitchen counter top and tiled it.

Monday I painted the kitchen and dining rooom, painted the cabinets, grouted the countertop tile, and laid the tile in the bathroom.
Tuesday's plan was to finally finish off all those apples by making apple cider. I had a 55 gallon drum of apples still left. As I was setting up, the chickens started squaking. I looked over and they were running so I assumed the fox was there. I go running and see a bobcat take one of my chickens out. He turns around with my chicken in his mouth and wants to run toward the woods, see's me and takes off around the front of my greenhouse and goes up the side, behind the blackberry patch and was gone leaving a trail of feathers behind. He is big...thanks to all that free white meat the neighbor and I are feeding him. I honestly don't know who was more surprised....him to see me or me to see a bobcat when I was expecting a fox. It took the mind a couple of seconds to even realize what it was. So I have to get whatever I left in the garden out and let the chickens and ducks go in there in hopes that it will be a deterrent.

I started doing the cider but then we lost power for a couple of hours which left me with no water for washing the apples, so I went looking to see where the bobcat had gone so I could have someone set a trap. I followed one patch of feather's after another and then as soon as it got to the woods...nothing. I walked the lower ridge line and never saw a feather. What I did see was the witch hazel blooming, and the fact that there is not a nut to be found. There were lots of empty shells and husks but no nuts. I came out of the woods and finished making the cider. I got 15 gallons and aching shoulders from cranking. I froze eight gallons and canned 7 before saying "Uncle".

In fiber I have not been spinning but I have been knitting up a storm. I had joined a Yahoo Holiday Mystery Group too late to participate last year but this year they are doing it again. They give free patterns twice a week. I have done the washcloth, the Gansey hat and I am doing the mystery gift. We are on clue 3 of 7. I have also been making stockings in hopes of selling some from my cousins table at the craft fair on October 11.

Today should be an easy day, the garden, laundry, house cleaning and a dentist appointment for #2 son. That means guilt free knitting while he is in there! And tonight we grout the bathroom floor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk about busy. I don't know how you have the energy left to knit anything at all. Good job on the cider. Bet that will taste good when the snow is falling. Warmed with a stick of cinnamon??

Glad things with the house are coming together so nicely. I bet you can't wait to be done.

I agree with you about Spring & Fall. I do prefer them because of their beauty and comfort. But I also know that I would surely miss Summer & Winter if they were gone from us. It all adds variety and something to hope for. Every Winter we long for Spring, and every Summer we look forward to Fall. How lucky are we to have so much to look forward to?
Have a great day. :)

cyndy said...

Sorry about the hen...you were brave to walk the ridge line before the frost (I'm still ascared o snakes!)

I'm surprised that you didn't take that perfectly good hound dog with you track down the beast! I'm even more surprised that the BC has the nerve to hunt your chickens with the hound dog nearby!

Your knitting looks great! You are making your own tracks!