Friday, January 13, 2006

What makes the man/spinner?

They say the suit makes the man...following this analogy that would mean that buying a new/better spinning wheel would make me a better spinner?! I was wondering because I just purchased a new wheel. Well actually Curt just told me to purchase a new wheel for myself with his money. I love that man!!!!

I started spinning about 2 1/2 years ago on a Babe Pinkie. At the time the Curt said buy a better wheel and I said why pay the bigger $ not knowing if I would even enjoy doing it. He said why not buy a good wheel and if you like it you won't have to go out later and buy a better one.....Well I did/do enjoy it and thought about getting another wheel last year but then I heard Tom from Manning’s at the PA Farm Show say that he was never able to pick up a skein and tell you what type of wheel it was spun on, upper or lower end. So I stuck with the Pinkie thinking I don't need another wheel.

Fast forward a couple of months and I was at Graces http://antique-spinning-wheels.blogspot.com/ and I got to sit and spin on one of the antique wheels that her and her husband restore....what a different animal!! It was such a joy and I was in love with the ease of it not to mention the history behind it. I would love to have one of her wheels but alas I have extremely clumsy children, cute and loveable but extremely clumsy. But I knew right then I needed to buy another wheel. I ate humble pie and admitted to Curt that he was right and I was wrong, choking the whole time. Thank God THAT doesn't happen often!

So I signed into ebay and bought a Ashford Traveller DT from
http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/ and got an email back that I should have it by the 20th. At this time I have to say I loved (yes past tense) the Pinkie. It did what I needed it to do, went anywhere, cost little, was like a Timex (took a lickin' and kept on tickin') during my early learning to spin period but like my clothes I guess I out grew it. So dd has decided that it is hers. But, (there is always a but) since I like the affordability of the Babe I also got a Babe's HH Deluxe Electric Spinning Wheel off of ebay from http://coppermoose.com/. When it rains it pours!!!

So will this make me a better spinner…only time will tell. Both of these wheels are so different from what I have that there is bound to big a big adjustment period. I know I now have no excuse not to spin up the Border Leicester fleece from MD S&W or the Shetland I got from Rhinebeck which I haven't done anything with yet after all MD S&W is only 18 weeks away.

No comments: